Mar 16, 2010

EVIDENCE visits Goree Island

February 21, 2010

View of Goree Island from the boat

While I was on the ferry ride to Goree Island, I kept wondering what this small island could have that would make country after country try to conquer and keep it. On this trip, I quickly found that answer out. This position of this island made it great for the slaveholders because it was close to the mainland yet far enough away so that the slaves couldn't swim back home. It was perfect for them to get what they needed and sail off quickly.

I went to the island having some knowledge about it but luckily we had a great tour guide, Ali, that gave us great insight into the history of Goree Island.

What surprised me was that there are people still living on the island and calling it home. The island is very colorful, vibrant and alive despite its unthinkable history. Some of the things that were done to slaves was hard for me to comprehend. It's wild to know that humans treated other humans a certain way because of their skin color.

Handcuffs

The 'door of no return' was the part of the tour that really got to me. It was this bleak looking door that lead the slaves to a waiting ship that would take them away from home. Once they passed this point there was no going back.....ever. So many emotions ran through me at that point that I didn't want to feel. It was just an overwhelming sense of helplessness and gloom. You are surrounded by this beautiful view of the ocean with this antique-like doorway. Yet, there's this creepy feeling going through your bones knowing what this view truly held for my ancestors.


Clarice looking out the "door of no return"

I'm glad that I had a chance to see the history of Goree Island, my history, for myself and through my own eyes. No book or television could have ever given me this experience. Although it is an island with a heavy history, the spirit and charm of the people lift it beyond what it was into what it is now...a beautiful island.

-Clarice Young

1 comment:

  1. Will you ever perform at any other large city like Chicago, or is New York the only city... Would love to see your dance company.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear what you think.